MK Parents unaware of 30 hours childcare grantPosted 1st September 2017
A new eBook has been created by Kids Play Childcare following a recent Kids Play survey revealing huge confusion concerning the new 30-hour education grant for Pre-School children, starting on 1st September 2017.
Addressing the knowledge shortfall from the survey, the childcare group’s eBook outlines the eligibility criteria for 30 hours, accessing the 30 hours and the deadlines in place to register.
The feedback from nearly 200 parents with children 4 or under in the Milton Keynes and Bury St Edmunds area (where Kids Play Day Nurseries & Pre-Schools are located) and whilst 90% of their survey were aware of the grant, a staggering 51% didn’t know the eligibility criteria, 71% didn’t know there was a deadline for the September grant and 64% were unaware they needed to apply for it and how.
Said Sharon Elliott, Childcare Director of Kids Play “We were quite surprised by the results and quickly acted to create a new eBook. We hope parents will find this a useful tool to ensure they don’t miss out on the government grants.”
The 30-hour early education government grant is a top up for working parents from the existing 15 free hours of Pre-School (available to all children when they turn 3). Parents can get the additional 15 hours if they eligible using the criteria below:
- Both parents in your household are employed and work the equivalent of at least 16 hours each at national living wage or national minimum wage, therefore earning at least £120 per week.
- Neither parent in the family household earns over £100,000.
- One parent is employed and one parent has substantial caring responsibilities based on specific benefits received for caring.
- One or both parents are temporarily away from the workplace on parental, maternity, paternity or adoption leave.
- You can also be temporarily away from the workplace on statutory sick pay.
- One parent is employed and the other parent is disabled or incapacitated based on receipt of specific benefits.
Parents can download the eBook free of charge from kidsplaychildcare.co.uk, who have 4 Nurseries and Pre-Schools in Milton Keynes.