Resounding YES from Business for Amazing CMK BIDPosted 5th March 2017
Central Milton Keynes will become a Business Improvement District (BID) in June 2017 after local businesses voted in favour of ambitious plans to boost trade and tackle key local issues.
Eligible businesses in Central Milton Keynes were asked to vote on whether to implement a wide-ranging business plan for their area, which will be funded by businesses themselves through a modest levy. BID proposers MKCCM consulted with businesses for over nine months to ensure a strong business plan relevant to the needs of Central Milton Keynes.
The final ballot result was 80 per cent in favour. The result makes the Amazing CMK BID the fourth largest BID outside London.
Melanie Beck, City Centre Manager and Chief Executive of the Amazing CMK BID said: “After 28 days of voting, MKCCM are delighted to see a successful outcome to the Amazing CMK BID ballot. We are happy with the overwhelmingly positive mandate and look forward to delivering significant change to benefit the local area. Our core aim over the next five years is to ensure Central Milton Keynes is a safe, vibrant and enjoyable place to work, live and visit.”
The Amazing CMK BID promises to deliver improvements to five key areas: safety; cleanliness; mobility; skills and events. As a result, the BID will deliver a series of projects including:
- Improving the state of city centre underpasses and porte cocheres
- Investing in deep cleansing of the streets and landscape improvements
- Delivering a viable park and ride scheme and city centre shuttle service for CMK employees
- Enabling apprenticeships and work experience programmes relevant to the CMK workforce
- Enhancing the image of Milton Keynes through the creation of annual events which create a legacy and engagement with business and community
- Investing in the day and night time economy to increase frequency of visit, dwell time and spend
Central Milton Keynes will see the benefit of over £6 million generated through the BID which will directly impact the area.
Over coming weeks the new BID company will be establishing the foundations to deliver the themes set out within the business plan, led by representatives from the local business community. The BID will become operational on 1 June and businesses within Central Milton Keynes will be encouraged to play an active part in the BID through briefings and advisory groups. A BID Board will be set up in the coming weeks to guide and oversee the delivery of the BID projects over the next five years.
Find out more about Amazing CMK and download your copy of the Business Plan at www.amazingcmk.co.uk.